Coated in panko crumbs, these crispy, gingery Japanese-style meatballs taste great with an extra squirt of barbecue sauce.
Australian Good Taste
• 500g pork mince
• 1 egg, lightly whisked
• 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
• 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
• 60g (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
• Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
• Baby cos lettuce leaves, to serve
• Coarsely grated carrot, to serve
• Barbecue sauce, extra, to serve
Line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine the mince, egg, barbecue sauce, ginger and 15g (1/4 cup) of the breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Season. Roll 3-teaspoon portions of the mince mixture into balls. Roll in remaining breadcrumbs to coat. Place on prepared tray. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
Add enough oil to a wok to reach a depth of 6cm. Heat to 180°C over medium-high heat (when oil is ready a cube of bread turns golden brown in 15 seconds). Cook the meatballs in 3 batches, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
Serve on lettuce leaves with carrot and extra barbecue sauce.